Casual Trading Licences

Casual Trading involves “selling goods on the public road or at a place where the public has access as of right and any other place that is a Designated Casual Trading Area”.  Under the Casual Trading Act 1995, anyone engaging in casual trading must hold a Casual Trading Licence and it is an offence under this Act to trade without a valid casual trading licence. 

You will need to complete a form to apply for a casual trading licence to trade in a Designated Trading Area.  The Designated Trading Area application form is available here (or from the reception in City Hall).  The completed application form should be returned to Market and Property Inspector, Property Dept., Cork City Council, City Hall, Anglesea Street, Cork or emailed to .

Alternatively the application can be completed online below:

Please see below table of Designated Trading Areas and relevant fees. Please note that fees can be paid annually or quarterly.

Designated Trading Area

Type of licence


Cornmarket Street/Kyle Street






Harley Street



Clogheenmilcon Walkway



Harty’s Quay



Murphy’s Farm



Ballincollig Regional Park



Douglas Park



Fitzgerald Park



*power option available at an additional €290 annually or €72.50 quarterly. 

A trader may use a diesel-powered generator for power, if necessary. All portable electrical equipment used by Traders shall be PAT tested annually and be certified in compliance with the required regulations.

Please read the following information carefully if you wish to apply or renew a Casual Trading Licence:


Is there a waiting list for trading pitches?

Yes, Cork City Council operates a waiting list for all pitches . For further information please contact  

What factors will be considered in granting of a Casual Trading Licence?

Licences will be allocated subject to strict criteria such as quality, a suitable mix of produce in the market, available space and any other criteria applicable at the time. 

What days do Designated Trading Areas operate?

Each designated area has its own permitted hours of trade:

Ballincollig Regional Park - In line with park opening hours. 

 Murphy’s Farm, Bishopstown - In line with park opening hours. 

Clogheenmilcon Walkway, Blarney- 9am to 6 pm every day. 

Fitzgerald’s Park - In line with park opening hours. 

Cornmarket/Kyle Street – Saturdays all year round. 

Harley Street – 12 noon to 9 pm Thursday to Sunday, all year round.   

Douglas Park - In line with park opening hours. 

Blackrock Market – Sundays and Bank Holidays all year round. 

Harty’s Quay Car Park - 9 am until 6 pm Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays all year round. 

Do I need to be a registered food business and what are the insurance requirements?

Food vendors require certification that they are registered with the HSE and must comply with all requirements of the local HSE Environmental Health Office.  All Traders will also require insurance: public liability, employers’ liability (if applicable) and product liability (if applicable). 

All traders are required to have Public Liability of €6.5m, and indemnification of Cork City Council must be stated in the insurance policy document before a licence is issued. 

Can I make changes to the product I am licenced to sell?

No. Trade is restricted to the products stated on your licence only.  Any changes will require an application for permission from the City Council.

Is there a facility to provide short term / pop up licences for Designated Trading Areas?

No, trading is in designated trading bays only.

Are there any other types of Casual Trading Licences available in Cork City?

Yes there are two types of Casual Trading Licences available:

1. Designated Casual Trading Area Licence (as outlined above)

2. Special Events Casual Trading Licence 

Does a Special Events Trading Licence cover multiple events?

No. The licence is issued for a particular Special Event only. You must make a separate application for each Special Event. 

Traders are advised to apply a minimum of 30 days in advance of an event. 

How much does a Special Event Licence cost?

The current fee for a Special Event Trading licence is:

 €50.00 per day for out of hand trading (standard pitch).

€145.00 per day for a stall holder (including small vehicles such as coffee trailers).

€220 per day for hot food vehicle traders (such as fast food vans, ice cream vans etc)

Please note:

  • The acceptance of any application by Cork City Council does not guarantee the granting of a licence.
  • Where licences are granted, Cork City Council is obliged to provide each trader’s name, address and PPS Number to the Minister for Social Welfare and the Revenue Commissioners:

Completed forms should be submitted to:

Market and Property Inspector

Property Department,

Corporate Affairs & International Relations Directorate,

Cork City Council,

City Hall,


Telephone: 021-4924182, 021-4924259, 021-4924334   Email:

 Your Europe Logo