Skip to main content
Eccliciastical-Buildings_Church-spire

St. Michael's Church, Blackrock

Church Road, Dundanion, Blackrock

Guided tour at 11am

Full wheelchair access

St. Michael’s Church of Ireland, Blackrock, was built in 1827. It was designed by brothers James and George Pain who designed Cork Court House and the County Gaol. It bears a resemblance to many of the other churches designed by the Pain Brothers at this time, such as St John the Baptist, Midleton. The church was originally built as a chapel of ease to St Fin Barre's Cathedral, becoming a separate parish in 1873. Its spire was badly damaged by a lightning strike in January 1836.

There is a memorial plaque to the famous mathematician George Boole (1815-64) in the south transept and he is buried in the graveyard. A very fine monument carved by John Hogan in memory of William Beamish (1760-1828), co-founder of the city’s famous brewery, can also be seen inside the church. Among the stained glass workshops represented are Youghals’ Watson & Co.

Two Watson windows commemorate Mrs Webster, a rector’s wife at St Michael’s, who apparently died from an accident while hanging curtains in 1917. The architect Sir Thomas Deane (1792-1871) and his wife Elizabeth are also buried in the churchyard.

A guided tour of St Michael’s Church will take place at 11am. No booking required.