Special Events Trading Licence

Summer Event 2021

Cork City Council, as a once off Special Event, intend to issue a limited number of Special Event Casual Trading Licences for Summer 2021 to facilitate some limited casual trading in specific locations for the period from 7th June to 26th September 2021 (these dates are subject to public health guidance and may change).

 This is a once-off special event licence for the period specified on the licence only and shall not confer upon the licence holder any tenancy or right to occupy.

The event license will terminate on 26th September 2021.

 If you wish to apply to be considered, you are required to fully complete the application form ‘CT2b Sp. Event Application Formand ensure you read and fully understand all of the criteria and guidance.

 The fully completed form must be submitted to the Property Section, Cork City Council by email only to: property@corkcity.ie on or before 4pm on the Wednesday 19th May 2021.

 Copies of the Guidance Notes, Application forms and Maps are available here: -


Street Trading Legislation

Casual Trading is regulated by the Casual Trading Act 1995, as amended, together with Cork City Council’s Casual Trading Byelaws. It is an offence under this Act to trade without a valid casual trading licence.  Casual Trading is divided into Designated Area trading and Special Event trading.

Casual Trading 

Casual Trading Licences are also issued for special events in the city, where an individual wishes to sell goods in the vicinity of an event for the day or days the event is taking place e.g. GAA matches, St Patrick’s Day parade etc. The number of pitches is often limited, due to Gardaí requirements, safety requirements and/or space restrictions. Traders are advised to apply a minimum of 4 weeks in advance of an event, using the Special Event Casual Trading Licence Application Form (CT2). You are advised to contact the Property Department office in advance of submitting your application form to check if casual trading licences are being issued for the particular event. 

Special Event Casual Trading Licence Application Form (CT2).pdf 

Festival Markets

Cork City Council also organises specialist festival markets which take place in conjunction with festivals being held in the city e.g. Christmas, St Patrick’s Day, etc.  Such markets are usually confined to food traders only, but can sometimes include craft or other stalls.

Requirements by Traders

The acceptance of any application by Cork City Council does not guarantee the granting of a licence. Traders in foodstuffs must be registered with the Health Services Executive and must comply with the requirements of the local HSE Environmental Health Office. All traders must carry their own Public, Product and Employers Liability Insurance. Where licences are granted, Cork City Council is obliged to provide each trader’s name, address and PPS No to the Minister for Social Welfare and the Revenue Commissioners: 

Completed forms should be submitted to: 

Property Department,
Corporate Affairs Directorate,
Cork City Council,
City Hall,Cork.

Opening hours: 9.00am.to 5.00pm. (Monday to Friday) excluding public holidays. Cash Office opening hours 9.00am to 1.00 pm and 2.00pm to 4.00pm.

Telephone: 021-4924258, 021-4924259, 021-4924334    

Email: property@corkcity.ie