Dispensation / Relaxation

Application for a Dispensation/Relaxation of the Building Regulations

In some particular circumstances, an individual or a client’s representative can apply to the Building Control Authority to obtain a dispensation from or relaxation of the Building Regulations where requirements are unreasonable for a certain situation.


Only requirements of Building Regulations may be given relaxations or dispensations.
An application for a Dispensation from, or Relaxation of, any requirement of the Building Regulations must be made on the form set out in the Section 4 of the Building Regulations, 1997 (S.I. 497 of 1997).  The fee is €125 for a dwelling and €250 for any other building.