Frequently Asked Questions for Displaced Ukraine Nationals


Click on the map above to find out where services are located.

16th March 2022

The Department of Children Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth has issued the following information for displaced Ukrainian nationals. 

This information is also available in Ukrainian and Russian here

Q1. I am a displaced Ukrainian national seeking refuge in Ireland. What should I do or how do I go about it?

A1. For general information, please see
As a Ukrainian arriving in Ireland you have 90 days before you need to regularise your status. Ireland is an EU country and is working with the EU to activate the EU Temporary Protection Directive, an emergency provision designed to respond quickly and humanely to the mass displacement of Ukrainian people.

Once this is finalised, the details will be made available on In the meantime, if you require it, displaced nationals arriving from Ukraine can be given accommodation by IPAS. You are also free to source your own private accommodation.

Q2. I am a displaced Ukrainian national and I have nowhere to stay in Ireland. Where can I find help?

A2. If arriving in the airport, please make yourself known to Immigration who will then bring you to the Border Management Unit. The Border Management Unit will liaise on your behalf with IPAS, who in turn will arrange accommodation and transport for you.
If you have arrived in Ireland, please contact the IPAS Helpdesk at and someone will assist you.

Q.3 I am a resident in Ireland and want to offer accommodation to displaced Ukraine nationals. What do I do?

A3. Please find all information on accommodation pledges at the Irish Red Cross register of pledges: or call 01 642 4600.

Q.4. I am a Ukraine/Irish citizen currently living in Ireland. What documents do I need to bring children from Ukraine into Ireland whose parents must remain in Ukraine? Who do I contact?

A.4 Please contact the Department of Justice at +353 (0) 1 6028202 .

Q.5 I am an employer of newly arrived displaced Ukrainian nationals/refugees. Can I support them in hotel accommodation myself or do they need to use IPAS accommodation?

A.5 Any employer is free to accommodate their employees privately once the accommodation is of an approved standard. The employee will, however need to obtain a PPS number. Please see answer to question 12 below regarding PPS numbers.

Q5. How do I register newly arrived Ukrainian children into schools?

A.5 The Tusla Education Support Service can assist you to find a school for your child/children. See contact email per region below.

Q.6 How can I access urgent medication and/or medical assistance?

A.6 Where there is NGO support available on site, contact them with any medical requirements. In the absence of an NGO, please ask the Centre management team for assistance.
If you require immediate access to medical care or medication, or any questions on your entitlements, services or how to access HSE health or social services in your area you can phone HSE Live (HSE) on or via phone on 00 353 1 240 8787.

Q.7 I am a displaced Ukrainian temporarily residing with a member of the general public but will soon require accommodation?

A7. Anyone being temporarily accommodated with friends or family may request access to IPAS accommodation.

Q.8 How can I access my finances and Banks in Ukraine?

A8. PAS deals with accommodation-related queries and as such cannot advise in relation to bank accounts. Please enquire with the Irish Central Bank at

Q.9. I am a member of the Public. What can I do to assist Ukrainian refugees?

A9. Please find all information on assisting Ukrainians at the Irish Red Cross register of pledges or call 01 642 4600.  If you are a community group and wish to add your services to the map above, click here.

Q10. I am a member of the public that speaks Ukrainian. Can I assist as a translator?

A.10. Please leave your name and contact details with IPAS at the and we will contact you if we require your assistance.

Q.11 Do I have to quarantine in any IPAS accommodation Centres?

A.11 There is no longer any quarantine requirement for new arrivals to any IPAS accommodation.

Q.12 Can I work in Ireland when I arrive and what financial supports will be available to me while I look for work?

A12. Under the Temporary Protection Directive, displaced Ukrainians have the right to work and to receive social welfare payments in Ireland. You need a PPS number to do so, which can be organised for you once you arrive in Ireland. Details on social welfare from DSP here:

Q13. What assistance & supports can I receive when sourcing my own accommodation?

A.13 Under the Temporary Protection Directive, displaced Ukrainians have the right to receive a social welfare support payment. You need a PPS number to do so, which can be organised for you once you arrive in Ireland. Details on social welfare from DSP here:

Q14. Can I bring my family pet into Ireland from Ukraine?

A.14 When travelling to an EU country or Northern Ireland, your pet needs:

  •  a microchip
  • a valid rabies vaccination
  •  an animal health certificate, or a valid pet passport that’s accepted in the country you’re travelling to
  • tapeworm treatment for dogs if you’re travelling directly to Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta.

These requirements also apply to assistance dogs.

Some Useful Contacts

Information for victims of sexual assault:

Introductory-Information-on-Sexual-Assault-Services.docx (size 1.2 MB)

TR_EN_MIX_25.04.22_Introductory-Information-on-Sexual-Assault-Services.UKRAINIAN.docx (size 40.8 KB)

TR_EN_MIX_25.04.22_Introductory-Information-on-Sexual-Assault-Services.RUSSIAN.docx (size 40.8 KB)

Further information

An-Garda-Siochana-Info-Sheet---English.pdf (size 691.2 KB)

An-Garda-Siochana-Info-Sheet---Ukrainian-&-Russian.pdf (size 755.3 KB)

Covid-19-vaccination-poster---Ukranian.pdf (size 199.4 KB)

Covid-Symptoms-English.doc (size 27.6 KB) (size 2.1 MB)

Leaflet-on-Intreo-Centre-Supports-SS-(002)-(002).docx (size 65.8 KB)

Symptoms-Covid-19-in-Ukrainian.docx.pdf (size 93.7 KB)