Cork Traveller Pride 2023 programme of events announced
12th April 2023
Traveller Pride is an annual celebration that takes place locally and nationally with Traveller organisations, partners and stakeholders coming together to celebrate Traveller ethnicity, identity and culture. National Traveller Pride 2023 will run from 3rd - 8th July 2023 and now Cork Traveller Pride runs from 19th - 22nd June 2023 with events and activities planned across the city.
This year’s theme is “A Celebration of Traveller Changemakers” and it is hoped to unite both Travellers and the settled community in a celebration of Traveller culture, heritage and activism. It’ is a call to action to settled allies and partners to unite with Travellers to promote Traveller rights and be part of real positive change in Travellers’ lived experience in Ireland.
This year's events will also celebrate the 24 Traveller women who graduated from UCC’s Leadership in the Community course and Train the Trainer course. Over the last three years these women have juggled family life and work to return to education and complete third-level qualification in the face of challenges presented by the Covid-19 pandemic.
Lord Mayor Cllr Deirdre Forde commented, “We are delighted to raise the Traveller pride flag over City Hall and to celebrate these 24 Traveller graduates who are blazing a trail for many more Travellers to access education and become leaders and change-makers in their community”.
Cork Traveller Pride 2023 has an eclectic programme with something for people of all ages over the week.
The full programme of events is listed below and you can follow the activities on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CorkTVG and Twitter: @TvgCorkCLG.
- Monday 19th June: Flag-raising event, Cork City Hall, 12 noon. This will be followed by a celebration of Traveller women graduates, Cork Council Chambers, 1pm.
- Tuesday 20th June: Handball tournament. Please contact Patrick McDonagh, TVG Community Development Worker, for further information, on 085 880 3486 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wednesday 21st June: FLAGSHIP EVENT: Family Fun Day at Fitzgerald's Park, Cork City, 12 noon to 3pm. This is a family-friendly day where the people of Cork will have a chance to learn about Traveller culture and traditions. Activities will include a petting zoo, traditional paper flower making and beady pocket making workshops, as well as performances from the renowned Traveller singer Kathleen Keenan and Traveller children who play the accordion and banjo. APC Microbiome and the TVG creche will have their own stalls, which will include an inflatable gut play tunnel for children.
- The Traveller culture exhibit Toraig on the Tobar will be open in Cork Public Museum. Come in to see the full size barreltop wagon & our new exhibition on Traveller tinsmithing, with film footage & photos – including a celebration of Cork’s last tinsmith Danny Hourigan.
- Thursday 22nd June: Building a Traveller Community Archive Event, Thursday 22nd June 2023, 11am, TEST SITE, Kyrl’s Quay, Cork
Summer Saturdays Traveller Heritage Crafts at Cork Public Museum
- 17th June 2023: Tinsmithing demonstration workshop by master craftsman Tom McDonnell
- 24th June 2023: Paper flower & Beady pocket workshop celebrating Traveller women’s traditional crafts by CTWN.
All workshops are 11.30am to 1.30pm in Toraig on the Tobar, Cork Public Museum’s Traveller culture exhibit