St Anne’s Church Shandon, built in 1722, home to the famous Shandon Bells, is a landmark building and has been a place of worship for over 280 years.
The Bells of Shandon first rang out across the city in 1752. Cast in Gloucester in England, the eight bells each carry their own inscription. The tower is also home to one of the largest caged clocks in Europe installed by the corporation in 1847 and known as the ‘four faced liar’ because of its sometimes errant time telling! At the top of the tower is the gilded salmon, or ‘de goldie fish’ an old symbol of Christianity and a symbol representing salmon fishing in the river Lee. There is a spectacular view of the city at the viewing parapet at 120ft/36m.
The interior of St Anne’s church, with its Victorian wooden vaulted ceiling, has a number of interesting features-it’s barley sugar twist altar rail; a baptismal font dating back to 1629, and its beautiful stained-glass windows.