School Tours @ Old Cork Waterworks
School Tours are operating under COVID-19 guidelines please check in advance for updated restrictions
We are always ready to welcome school tours to the Old Cork Waterworks, simply download our School Tour Booking Form , complete and return and we'll be in touch.
A 90 minute school tour includes time at the interactive exhibition where children will be entertained and stimulated while learning about energy, water, waste and a whole range of other environmental issues. In the former boiler and engine house, they will get an opportunity to appreciate the huge steam engines and boilers used in the past to supply water to Cork city. Children can let off their own brand of steam at our playground and garden before departure.
School Tours are given by a friendly and knowledgeable staff, who will ensure an enjoyable experience is had by all.
School Tour Groups:
- Receive an introductory presentation detailing the history of Old Cork Waterworks and the important role water played in the development of Cork City
- Participate in a group water experiment
- Explore the Victorian buildings including the boiler and engine houses, offering historical and geographical examples of why the area was chosen as the location for Cork Waterworks
- Discover how Old Cork Waterworks now uses renewable energy every day
- Investigate the interactive exhibits where pupils transform into environmental detectives and take part in an environmental quiz.
- Enjoy the playground (time and weather permitting).
- Our marquee is available as a picnic area
Check out what Ovens NS had to say about their visit http://ovensns.scoilnet.ie/blog/2012/05/15/our-trip-to-the-lifetime-lab/