Unregulated Private Water Supplies 

If you own or manage an unregulated private water supply you are required to keep your supply safe. 

Cork City Council is required to provide owners and users of unregulated private water supplies with information about the risks of contamination of water supplies and with advice about treating these supplies to keep them safe.  This information is intended to fulfill this obligation.  

HSE provides advice regarding Drinking Water including Private Well Supplies generally.  

What is an unregulated private water supply?

An unregulated private water supply is any supply that is not provided by or regulated by a Sanitary Authority i.e. County or City Council.  It is any private supply that provides less than 10 cubic meters a day of water or serves less than 50 people and does not have a public or commercial activity. Examples of public or commercial activities include - restaurant or bed and breakfast.  

Why is this information needed?

Although the majority of private water supplies are safe to drink most of the time, they can be at risk from contamination. A number of serious illnesses caused by pathogens, such as E. coli O157 and Cryptosporidium can be transmitted through contaminated drinking water supplies. It is essential that you keep your private water supply safe from contamination to protect your health, and your family’s health. 

You may contact the Environmental Health Officer in your Health Service Executive area Tel: 021/4921801 (North Lee), 021/4927703 (South Lee)