Park Opening Hours
All Parks open at 8am Monday to Friday and at 10am every Saturday, Sunday & Bank Holiday
Summer In the Park
Events in City Parks
Parkrun, a timed, 5k run for people of all abilities and levels of fitness takes place every Saturday at 9.30 am at the Glen River Park. See www.parkrun.ie/glenriver for more details.
If you believe that a tree in a public green area is in need of attention, please call us on (021) 4924333/4924132/4924041 and we will request our tree surveyor to take a look at it.
Any incidences of fallen trees outside of office hours can be reported to 021 4966512. In any emergency, calls should be made to 999.
New Playground at Bishopstown Park
The new playground at Bishopstown Park after the recent snowfall
Cork City Council is delighted to see its latest playground opened just in time for the Christmas holiday period. Bishopstown Playground, located at Bishopstown Park near Bishopstown Tennis Club, represents an investment of over € 600k by the Council in enhancing play facilities in the South West of the City. The playground construction was completed on schedule and adds further to the Park which already comprises of walkways, playing pitches, pitch and putt course and informal recreation space.
The playground which is all inclusive and capable of being used by those of mixed abilities, comprises of modular climbing units, tower slides, balancing bars, earth mounds and sand areas, see saws etc and has a Toddler area as well as a Juvenile area. The facility is gated, protected by CCTV, and will be inspected by City Council staff daily similar to other playgrounds in the City. Additional car parking was provided at the Park as part of the Project to cater for demand.
Lord Mayor Cllr Mick Finn states that he “ very much welcomes the new challenging integrated play space at Bishopstown”
The City Council asks that those using the Park, particularly in the first few weeks when there is a novelty bounce to attendances, would respect local residents and park responsibly.
The playground will be open from 9am to 4pm, 7 days a week.
Fitzgerald's Park is the largest public park in the city and if you are so inclined the Public Museum is located at the main entrance to the Park.
Fitzgerald's Park was originally the site of the Cork Exhibition, held in 1902/03, a commercial and industrial showcase for the city economy. The grounds were laid out in a part formal, part romantic design with a large pond and fountain as the focus. After the exhibition the grounds were made over to Cork Corporation to be managed for the benefit of the people of Cork. The Park is named after Edward Fitzgerald who was Lord Mayor of Cork 1901 – 1902 and Chairman of the Exhibition Committee of the Incorporated Cork International Exhibition Association.
The park still retains a mix of formality and romance, with trim geometric flower beds contrasting with winding wooded paths - trees slant over a riverbank that is dotted with haphazard plantings of bulbs and herbaceous perennials, while a pristine rose garden is a riot of colour in June and July. The small Arts and Crafts style building, now known as the President and Lord Mayor’s Pavilion, was originally the ladies’ rest room and tea rooms of the Cork Exhibition. Cork Public Museum is situated in the Park in the house known at the time of the Exhibition as ‘The Shrubbery House’, which served as the administrative Centre for the great undertaking. A wing has been added, in cool modern style, to complement the severe Georgian lines of the building. Tucked in between the Museum and the riverbank is a cafe with indoor and outdoor tables, a perfect place to sit and contemplate life.
The Lough is one of Cork’s most striking natural features. Its presence as an amenity to the public is important in an area that has undergone immense urbanization during the last century. Cork Lough is a substantial lake measuring about 350m long by about 180m wide, fed by underground streams. It is situated in a topographical depression in the central park of the Cork valley . The Lough hosts a wide variety of wildlife. It is an important habitat for a large bird population some of which are migratory. Details of the birdlife are posted around the Lough to assist in identification. It is not permitted to feed bread to the birds as it is harmful to their digestive systems and leads to deterioration in water quality for both fish and birds.
Please note that fishing at the Lough is currently prohibited due to an outbreak of carp edema virus (CEV).
Bishop Lucey Park
This very popular park is located in the City Centre on the Grand Parade, with entry from Tuckey Street and South Main Street as well. This park was opened in 1985 as part of the City’s 800th birthday celebrations. Named after Cornelius Lucey, a Bishop and Freeman of Cork (1952-1980), it occupies a previously derelict site . The entrance Archway was reconstructed from the Cork Cornmarket, dating from 1850. The park includes a sculptured fountain of eight bronze swans, representing the 800 years of the city since the Norman City Charter was granted in 1185 A.D (the original monastic settlement was founded earlier, in the 6th c. by St. Fin Barr). In the course of clearance and construction , archaeologists found portions of the early city walls exposed and preserved just inside the entrance.
GLOW-A Cork Christmas Celebration takes place in Bishop Lucey Park each weekend until Christmas. See www.corkchristmascelebration.ie for more details.
Atlantic Pond & Mahon walkway
The walkway/cycle track extends along the Old Passage Railway line from The Marina at the northern end to Rochestown at the southern end . The distance from the Marina to the Rochestown bridge is 3 kilometers.A branch of the walk leaves the Railway Line near this bridge and veers eastward towards Lough Mahon skirting the Douglas River estuary for a further two kilometers, returning onto the Skehard Road near Ringmahon Point. There are fine views of the harbour from the coast walk, especially of picturesque Blackrock Castleharbour from the coast walk, especially of picturesque Blackrock Castle.
Shalom (Peace) Park
Shalom Park at Monerea Terrace was developed in 1989. The land for this amenity was kindly donated by Cork Gas Company , who also provided the lighting within the park. The park name commemorates the Cork Jewish community, which originally settled in this area of the city having arrived as refugees. The park contains lawn, seating, bedding and herbacious borders and a children's playground
Tory Top Park
The Glen Amenity Park
The Glen River Park is a natural river valley located at the Glen on the northern side of Cork City. The narrow, meandering Glen River flows through the valley which in the eastern end is relatively wide with gentle inclined slopes and in the western end is narrow with very steep slopes. The vegetation of the valley varies from gorse, heather, bracken to mixed deciduous trees to grass. The wildness is a huge part of its charm and a valuable resource of natural heritage in the City.
A Parkrun takes place at 9.30 am every Saturday morning, for more details see www.parkrun.ie/glenriver/