Dogs & Animal Welfare Boundary FAQs

Will Cork City Council be taking over veterinary services in the area transferring to the city on May 31st 2019?

A Section 85 agreement has been in place for a number of years between Cork City Council and Cork County Council around veterinary services. This agreement will be maintained and amended to take the changed boundary into account. Public service standards will remain as previously.

What about dog control in the newly extended area? Who is looking after that after May 31?

The CSPCA provides a dog warden service on behalf of Cork City Council. The CSPCA will be employing additional dog wardens to cover the new area. Residents and businesses within the boundary transfer area can direct queries regarding stray dogs to the CSPCA at 021 4515534 or email

I will be licensing my dog after the 31st May-how does the boundary change affect me?

There will be no change for those wishing to renew dog licenses. An Post are the primary avenue for the issue and renewal of dog licences. You can apply for a licence either at your local post office or via their online service at