Stay Connected and Creative
There may be restrictions in place, but you can still maintain social contact and keep your mind engaged and creative juices flowing, just in a different way. Cork City is full of groups that can help you do that from your own home. Take a look at what they have to offer here.
Happy Talk Speech and Language Programme
In response to the current situation Happy Talk Speech and Language Programme, which is supported by Cork City Council, have teamed up with UCC Speech and Language Therapy Department to develop and share language resource packs with communities, schools and family support services. These packs will contain games and activities to promote language, early literacy and learning. They are full of fun and easy to follow activities. The weekly packs are aimed at 4 to 8 year olds and are distributed to all Happy Talk sites across Cork and Kerry as well as by the Community Team in Cork City Council reaching all 16 Community Response Areas in the City.
You can see these packs on their Facebook page or download some of them here:
Connect Call Service - Cork City of Sanctuary
Cork City of Sanctuary's COVID-19 taskforce have set up a COVID support phone line for migrants in Cork City. The Connect Call Service is being hosted & managed by the Cork Migrant Centre, Mob 086 8246087, in collaboration with Cork City Partnership and Welcome English and with the support of Cork City of Sanctuary Movement. To connect with them phone 086 824 6087 (Cork Migrant Centre).
For more information, click to see their leaflet.
Cork City Council Arts Office
Cork City Council's Arts Office undertakes and supports the following programmes and initiatives:
Social media updates on and promotion of:
- Supports for arts sector workers;
- Online creative wellbeing activities facilitated though arts-based methods by artists and arts organisations and institutions.
- #DistanceCreates online programme for u18’s living with long term health conditions by Helium Arts
Cork City of Sanctuary
Community Arts Coordinator in Cork City Council Arts Office is a member of the Executive Council of Cork City of Sanctuary.
- Residents Forum (proposed) – consultative process to improve communications with residents in Direct Provision
- Sanctuary Mask Initiative – mask stitching project for use of people living in Direct Provision without access to PPE
- Laptops for Lockdown – providing laptops to people living in Direct Provision to access information, resources and communicate.
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CorkCityofSanctuary/
Culture Night is an all-island public event that celebrates culture, creatively and the arts. Culture Night helps create a sense of community as well as encourages people to experience culture in their locality. Planning is underway on how to make Culture Night accessible for 2020.
Updates will be posted on http://culturenightcork.ie/