Complaints and Appeals Procedure

Complaints and Appeals Procedure

The Complaints and Appeal System has been introduced to assist customers who feel that they have been treated unfairly and not in accordance with the standards of Customer Care outlined in our Customer Charter. Every effort should be made to resolve complaints at local departmental level first.

Who can make a complaint?

If you feel that you have been treated unfairly and not in accordance with the standards of Customer Care set out in our Customer Charter, and are dissatisfied with the standard of Customer Care you received, you may wish to make a complaint. 

How do I make a complaint?

You can do so by asking for the supervisor or office manager. Every effort will be made to resolve the complaint at local departmental level.

What if I am still dissatisfied?

If you are still not satisfied with the quality of service you received, you can make a formal complaint in writing.  

Complaint forms are available at all public offices  - please see Related Files to download.

The complaint form should be sent to:-

Customer Care Section
Corporate & External Affairs
Cork City Council
City Hall
Anglesea St

A formal complaint may also be made via E-mail and e-mailed to

How do I know my complaint is being dealt with?

All complaints received by the Customer Care section will receive a reply. An acknowledgement letter will issue from the Customer Care section within 5 working days. The relevant directorate will issue a full response no later than 28 days of receipt of complaint. If it is not possible to respond fully within 28 days, you will be advised and updated on the progress of our investigation.

What can I do if I am not satisfied with the response?

You may appeal the decision to the Director of Services, Corporate & External Affairs.
Every attempt will be made by us to resolve matters first time. However if you are not satisfied with the way in which your complaint was handled, you can appeal the decision to the:-

Director of Services 
Corporate & External Affairs
Cork City Council
City Hall
Anglesea St

What happens if I am still not happy with the outcome?

The Complaints and Appeals system operated by Cork City Council does not preclude you from using other external offices to handle your complaint.

If you feel that you have been unfairly treated or are not satisfied with our decision on your complaint, it is open to you to contact the Office of the Ombudsman.  By law the Ombudsman can investigate complaints about any of our administrative actions or procedures as well as delays or inaction in your dealings with us.  The Ombudsman provides a free, impartial and independent dispute resolution service.

Contact details are as follows:

Office of the Ombudsman,
18 Lower Leeson Street,
Dublin 2.

Tel:  Lo-call 1890 223030
Tel:  01 6395600
Fax: 01 6395674


Anonymous Complaints

Such complaints will be forwarded to the relevant directorate and the decision for any future action is at their discretion.

The Customer Service Complaints and Appeals Procedureis intended to inform you of the standards of Customer Care to expect in your dealings with us. It outlines what you should do if you are dissatisfied with the standard of customer care you received. It also informs you of the Code of Conduct that staff expect in their dealings with you. You are requested to observe this Code of Conduct.

Any queries or comments contact us at:

Customer Care Section,
Corporate & External Affairs,
Cork City Council,
City Hall, Cork
Tel: 021-4924000
Fax: 021-4314238