Special Public Meeting of Cork City Council Climate Action Committee
15th October 2020.
Cork City Council is preparing an annual update on climate action, in keeping with its obligations under national climate action policy.
To coincide with this, a special public meeting of the Climate Action Committee will take place tomorrow Friday, 16 October 2020 at 4.00 p.m. via Cork City Council's website www.corkcity.ie/tv, Facebook page and YouTube channel. The meeting will provide an update on climate action progress and initiatives by Cork City Council.
Invited guests will be in attendance, providing an opportunity for the committee to engage both nationally and with civil society. These guests are the chair of the Oireachtas Committee on Climate Action, Brian Leddin T.D., and Saoi O'Connor of Fridays for Future.
Some of Cork City Council’s highlights over the past 12 months have been:
- Becoming the first local authority in Ireland to set up a dedicated Climate Action Committee;
- One of the first local authorities to declare climate and biodiversity emergency in June 2019;
- Recognised as a local authority who carried out a creative and comprehensive public engagement programme as part of the public consultation phase of the development of the Climate Change Adaptation Strategy 2019-2024 during summer of 2019;
- Largest EV (electric vehicles) fleet in the local authority sector;
- Large-scale pedestrianisation of city centre streets, in tandem with continuing improvements in cycling infrastructure;
- Currently one of the leading local authorities in terms of energy reduction as part of our 2020 national targets.